Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Morning by Morning


Morning by Morning

Psalm 5

I. Morning Begins with God

A. Christians meditate; the process reaffirms faith. “To the chief Musician upon Nehiloth, A Psalm of David. Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.” (Psalms 5:1) “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.” (1 John 5:14-15)

B. Making meditation a morning routine sets the pattern for the rest of the day. “Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.” (Psalm 5:2-3)

II. The Wicked Can’t Approach God

A. God refuses to let evil come near Him; people delude themselves when they live as though sin were of no interest to God. “For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.” (Psalm 5:4) “These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.” (Psalm 50:21)

B. Unrepented evil drowns out whatever else a person may have to say to God. “The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.” (Psalm 5:5) “Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, and holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth the man that is more righteous than he?” (Habakkuk 1:13)

C. God destroys people who cross His moral line; be cautious about approaching Him. “Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.” (Psalm 5:6) [OE leasing =lying]

III. The Righteous Can Approach God

A. God welcomes into His house people who trust in His mercy and display proper respect. “But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.” (Psalm 5:7) “As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.” (Psalm 55:16)

B. Acknowledge and seek God’s direction for the day. “Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.” (Psalm 5:8)

C. When morning starts with God, life has direction, protection, and reward. “Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. Deliver me, O LORD, from mine enemies: I flee unto thee to hide me. Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.” (Psalm 143:8-10)

IV. Evil Meditation Yields Horrible Rewards

A. When speech fails to lead to God, it will kill. “For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue.” (Psalm 5:9)

B. Evil has its own form of meditation; this too sets a pattern for the day. “He deviseth mischief upon his bed; he setteth himself in a way that is not good; he abhorreth not evil.” (Psalm 36:4)

C. Neglect the meditation of faith and evil things will fill the vacuum. “Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenant-breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:” (Romans 1:29-31)

D. Good and evil cannot live in peace; take sides starting with morning meditation. “Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee.” (Psalm 5:10)

V. Righteous Meditation Yields Righteous Rewards

A. The right attitude results in joy; much depends on how a person starts the day. “But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.” (Psalm 5:11)

B. It is nice to reaffirm that the God of salvation is the God of providence. “For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.” (Psalm 5:12)




Blog Archive