Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Saved Sinner

1. Psalm 32

I. Sin

A. Forgiveness is a marvelously refreshing thing. A Psalm of David, Maschil. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. (Psalm 32:1) Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. (Psalm 51:7-8)

B. Gods perspective determines how people live in this world and the one to come; does God think of a persons sin or does He see a persons Savior? Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. (Psalm 32:2) [bvx chashab means to think, plan, esteem, calculate, invent, make a judgment, imagine, or count.]

C. When the joy of salvation spreads, people share what God has done in their lives. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee. (Psalm 51:12-13)

II. Repentance

A. Failure to deal with sin destroys from the inside; the problem will display itself physically, mentally, and spiritually. When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. (Psalm 32:3) [See Nathans message in 2 Samuel 12 and the Prodigal Son in Luke 15.] Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly. For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed. (Psalm 31:9-10)

B. God will not let a sinner He loves live in contentment with sin. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. (Psalm 32:4) For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me. My wounds stink and are corrupt because of my foolishness. (Psalm 38:4-5)

C. Repentance demands confession and after that life improves; knowledge of forgiveness revives the soul. I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. (Psalm 32:5) And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die. (2 Samuel 12:13)

D. Repentant people become people of prayer; He Who saves souls can certainly solve problems. For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. (Psalm 32:6) O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed. (Psalm 34:3-5)

E. When repentant believers turn to God, they find Him a secure refuge rather than an avenging judge. Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. (Psalm 32:7) And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou? And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. (Genesis 3:9-10) The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion. (Proverbs 28:1)

III. Confession

A. God instructs those who turn to Him in repentance and then He teaches them so that in turn they can teach other sinners seeking help. I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. (Psalm 32:8)

B. People who refuse to listen to the message of grace oppose themselves like stubborn animals. Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee. (Psalm 32:9) A whip for the horse, a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fools back. (Proverbs 26:3)

IV. Forgiveness

A. Sorrow and mercy are equally available to people; choose the path of mercy. Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about. (Psalm 32:10) Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all. (Psalm 34:19)

B. When people understand how God deals with those whom He saves, they begin to rejoice. Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart. (Psalm 32:11) The righteous shall be glad in the LORD, and shall trust in him; and all the upright in heart shall glory. (Psalm 64:10)

Blog Archive