Sunday, October 5, 2008


Christian Business

I. God Uses Christians To Witness

A. As He was leaving, Jesus told His people that they would be equipped to carry His gospel everywhere.But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

B. In the darkest moments of Biblical history, God reminds His agents that He supplies the power for the tasks He assigns. “Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Zechariah 4:6)

C. Paul attributed His gospel triumphs, not to himself, but to the power of the Holy Spirit operating through him. “Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.” (Romans 15:19)

D. Jesus promised to make the work of His people effective. “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.” (John 14:12-13)

E. The greatest evangelist of the Apostolic Age put himself on a level with the newest and least educated witness; the power is always God’s. “And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 2:1-5)



II. Everyone Needs the Gospel


A. No matter who a Christian approaches, that person either knows the gospel or desperately needs to know the gospel. “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” (Romans 3:23)

B. The options are simple; sin kills and grace makes alive for eternity. “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)

C. There are no exceptions. “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:” (Romans 3:10)

D. Since all people need what God has given you to share and He has promised to take charge of the sharing, be ready to act when the Holy Spirit provides the opportunity. “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:” (1 Peter 3:15)

E. Stay out of your own way.Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.” (1 Peter 3:16)



III. Success Is Coming

A. God has His own schedule. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)

B. As long as believers are faithful to Scripture, what they undertake will accomplish God’s objectives. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:9-11)

C. Expect success; God is not sold on excuses.Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.” (John 4:35)

D. Just follow the instructions. “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Romans 10:17)

E. Leave all the heavy lifting to the Holy Spirit. “And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.” (John 16:8-11)


Blog Archive