Sunday, October 5, 2008

NEW OR TRUE

I. God Is a Spirit

A. God must be approached as He reveals Himself to be. “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” (JOHN 4:24)

B. A right human spirit is necessary for approaching the ultimate Spirit; the inner nature matters to God the Spirit. “For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.” (ISAIAH 57:15)

C. God will not accept any external approach to Him which does not begin with a redeemed heart. “This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” (MATTHEW 15:8-9)


II. Three Facts Overwhelm All Doctrines about God

A. God is infinite. “Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection? It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know? The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.” (JOB 11:7-9) “Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.” (PSALM 145:3)

B. God is eternal. “Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.” (PSALM 90:2) “Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth: While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.” (PROVERBS 8:25-26) “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.” (REVELATION 1:8)

C. God is unchangeable. “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” (JAMES 1:17) “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” (ISAIAH 45:7)


III. Seven Features of God Follow

A. God is the ultimate being, making possible the existence of all other things. “And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.” (EXODUS 3:14)

B. Because God’s understanding has no limits, His wisdom is ultimate. “Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.” (PSALM 147:5)

C. God is all-powerful. “And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.” (REVELATION 4:8)

D. God is holy. “Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.” (REVELATION 15:4)

E. God is just; his values do not shift with the fads and fashions of the age. “And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,” (EXODUS 34:6)

F. God is good. “And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” (EXODUS 20:6)

G. God is the truth. “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (JOHN 14:6 AV)

Blog Archive